So exactly what are churches doing to transform Southwark?
Faith is the engine of change and over recent years faith based social action projects have multiplied in response to the pressing needs of our borough. These have each contributed to significant social and spiritual transformations across the communities of Southwark. Aside from numerous youth clubs, nursery provisions, post or anti-natal support groups, refugee support groups, schools, coffee shops, capacity training, literacy training and so many other activities that southwark churches provide on a daily basis, there are also larger partnership projects such as:
- Housing projects such as Habitat For Humanity
- Youth and community projects such as XLP; The Salmon Centre; Redthread, Spinnaker
- Street safety projects such as Southwark Street Pastors
- Employment projects like PECAN,
- Adoption projects like Home For Good
- Emergency food project like Food Bank
- Debt Counselling services like CAP
These excellent faith based projects and many more are active in Southwark,
The progress of such initiatives and the issues that they seek to address are often the focus of Transform Southwark Receptions or Leaders Fellowship Breakfasts. These gatherings are open to all church leaders, charity leaders, councillors and police.